In November 2020, we hosted the #FMJSummit in partnership with GEM and supported by Art Fund.
The evaluation report from the summit can be found here:
We are making almost all of the session recordings available over time via our youtube page, and you can see a list below of the currently available sessions.
Note that all uploaded sessions have automated captioning, which we will be improving over time.
Jobs in museums and heritage
This strand of the programmed focussed on what jobs exist in museums and heritage; panellists discussed the good and bad aspects of the areas of work and their career paths into their jobs.
- Museum Fundraising
- Off the beaten path: museum jobs you never considered
- Doing exhibitions: Where, when, how and why?
- Museum Social Media and Marketing
- Conservation and Collections Care
- Working in Museum Learning
- New April 2021: Visitor Experience and Front of House
- New April 2021: Freelancing in museums
- New April 2021: Collections Management, Documentation and Registration
- New April 2021: Being a Museum Director or Manager
- New April 2021: Museum Archives
- New April 2021: Museum Curators
Navigating the world of museum work
These events cover a range of real, practical topics in the world of work for both employers and employees.
- Social Class and Working in Museums
- Better Together – Unions in the Heritage Sector
- Our Shared Cultural Heritage with Manchester Museum Young Collective
- Making your application process fairer and more accessible
- New April 2021: Giving and Getting Feedback
- New April 2021: Disabled peoples’ experience of working in museums
- New April 2021: Things noone tells you about Parental Leave
- New April 2021: Tales from the Job Centre
Career Development Advice
A range of sessions focussed on empowering those at all stages of their careers to think about themselves and their current and future options.
- New April 2021: How to read a job description
- CV Advice
- Writing Job Applications and Covering Letters
- New April 2021: Doing well at interviews
- Heritage Traineeships
- New April 2021: MGS Skills for Success Scheme
- A Guide to Networking
- Freelancing in Museums – by the numbers
- How to research an organisation
- What counts as professional development anyway?
- New April 2021: Moving into Leadership
- Mentoring in Museums
Museum Sector Support Organisations
These recordings focus on just some of the organisations that support the workforce in the museums and heritage sector.